KUNM Call In Show Thu. 01/14 8a:
The state Legislature is getting ready to meet this month in Santa Fe and lawmakers will be focused on putting together a budget. But many people are hoping lawmakers will also address recent high-profile corruption cases and pass tougher measures to keep government clean.
We're talking about:
- Former Secretary of State Dianna Duran who resigned and went to prison after embezzling money from her campaign accounts.
- Former Senator Phil Griego, who resigned after an ethics complaint charged that he made a fat commission on the sale of some state property that he had shepherded through the Legislature.
- Revelations that Attorney General Hector Balderas is investigating more than 30 cases of campaign finance violations that could result in more than $150,000 in fines.
What do you want your senator and representative to do to clean up politics this year?
We'd like to hear from you! Email email@example.com or call in live during the show, Thursday morning at 8 here on 89.9 KUNM.
- State Auditor Tim Keller
- Representative James Smith from Tijeras (R)
- Viki Harrison, Executive Director of Common Cause New Mexico
Check out all of the content from our People, Power and Democracy project. It's a collaboration between KUNM, New Mexico In Depth, New Mexico PBS and the New Mexico News Port at UNM. Funding for the project comes from the Thornburg Foundation.