Let's Talk About Love and Valentines
Let's Talk New Mexico 2/13 8am: It’s Valentine’s Day and we’re going to be talking about love. From how a baker and chocolatier’s creations come from a place of affection and care, to how a spectacular annual Valentine in an Albuquerque neighborhood shows love for more than just its recipient—and even how love itself can be a radical act.
We want to hear from you! Tell us about the loves in your life and how you’re celebrating them this week. Email us Letstalk@KUNM.org, tweet to us at #LetsTalkNM, or call in live during the show.
- Frankie Flores, Director of UNM LGBTQ Resource Center
- Mello Sanchez, Over the Moon Macarons
- Dharm Khalsa, The Chocolate Maven
- Lonnie Anderson
- UNM Radical Queer Love Waffle Breakfast
- A vision of love writ large for Anne (ABQ Journal)
- NM 24/7 Crisis and Access Line: 1-855-NMCRISIS (662-7474)
- Peer-to-Peer Warm Line: 1-855-4NM-7100 (466-7100)
Mello’s Emergency Earl Grey Truffles
- Heavy cream 1 1/4 cup
- Earl grey tea leaves. 1/4cup
- Dark chocolate. 10 oz
- Dark chocolate (for coating) 7 oz
- Cocoa powder. 1 cup
- In a small saucepan bring heavy cream and tea leaves to a simmer. Once up to a simmer, turn off heat and allow to set for two minutes.
- Chop up dark chocolate into small pieces and place in a metal bowl. Using a strainer, strain the warm cream into the chocolate. Discard the tea leaves. Stir the warm cream and chocolate until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Cover chocolate and allow to set up for about four hours. You want the chocolate to be firm and scoopable.
- Using a tablespoon or small scoop, scoop the chocolate out to form small balls. You can also roll in your hands to make small balls.
- Place in refrigerator for about 15 minutes and allow to get firm.
- To make the coating, place the 7 oz of chocolate in a metal bowl over a sauce pot of boiling water. Stir continuously. Once chocolate is melted completely, remove from heat and add the remaining 3 oz of chocolate and stir until completely melted.
- Using a fork, drop the firmed chocolate balls into the melted chocolate. Put 1 cup of cocoa powder into a bowl and drop the coated truffles into the powder. Roll around until coated. Place coated truffles onto a piece of parchment paper. Allow to set.
- Place truffles in small cupcake papers and serve!