No More Normal: When Piggy Banks Fly
We get into what money really is. We take a dive into a bill that looks to create a public bank. We talk with a member of a financial innovation group about how universal basic income has helped businesses during the pandemic. We grapple with student loans. We hear the journey of how difficult it is to start a business as a pandemic is raging. And we have a talk with the secretary of workforce solutions about where the jobs are going to be.
In episode 20 we are talking about money: you may know it as cash, moolah, greenbacks, cheese (cheddar to be specific), loot, coin, lettuce, or if you are a fan of the 90’s, duckets. We take a look at our economy during the pandemic and ask some questions about the nature of money.
- Nina Robinson, Runway
- Jacob Goldstein, Planet Money
- Diego Diaz, owner of Tio David's Peruvian Flavor
- Wall Street Bets user, Clifford Grindstaff
- Patrick Watson, Mauldin Economics
- Secretary Bill McCamley, New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions
YOUR NM GOV: A bill proposing a public bank for New Mexico is making its way through the Senate. Anglea Merkert is the Executive Director for the Alliance Of Local Economic Prosperity, a think tank. She joins us this week to talk about what that could look like here.
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
- Jazztone The Producer, Cheo, Dahm Life, Oh Lawd Records and Business School for providing music for the show.
- Artist Eva Avenue for the artwork on the post. Find her work at: evaavenue.com
- Megan Kamerick for her contribution
- Taylor Velazquez for managing our socials and generating ideas, and for her contribution this week
We dedicate this and every episode to the memory of Hannah Colton. We love and miss you Hannah.
No More Normal is brought to you by Your New Mexico Government, a collaboration between KUNM, New Mexico PBS and the Santa Fe Reporter. Funding for our coverage comes from the New Mexico Local News Fund, the Kellogg Foundation and KUNM listeners like you, with support for public media provided by the Thornburg Foundation.