89.9 FM Live From The University Of New Mexico
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

SUN: Arrest made after police shootout in Rio Rancho, Armed Carlsbad man killed by New Mexico State Police

British Columbia Emergency Photography,
Creative Commons

Rio Rancho police arrest man after shootout with officersAssociated Press

Police in the Albuquerque suburb of Rio Rancho said they have arrested a man who fled a Walmart parking lot after opening fire on officers at very close range as they tried to detain him Saturday morning.

Rio Rancho Police said in a statement that officers were investigating a suspicious vehicle in the store parking lot just before 6:30 a.m. when a man came out of the Walmart and ran for the vehicle as they approached it. The statement said that as the officers tried to detain the man, he grabbed a gun from between the seats of the vehicle an opened fire.

Officers retreated, took cover and fired back, but the man drove off. No officers were hurt.

Officers later located the suspect's vehicle in Albuquerque and took the man and two other people into custody. The man police were seeking had been shot during the gunbattle with officers. Police did not say now serious his injuries were.

NM state police say armed Carlsbad man killed by deputiesAssociated Press

A Carlsbad man who had an argument with his girlfriend and then left their home with her cell phone and a handgun was shot and killed by Eddy County sheriff's deputies after he reportedly pointed the gun at deputies, New Mexico State Police said late Friday.

The two deputies who fired at 48-year-old Gabriel Mesa provided medical aid until emergency medical technicians arrived, but he did not survive. The shooting happened Thursday evening, and New Mexico state police issued a statement about it a day later.

Maestas's girlfriend, who was not identified, called deputies and said he was intoxicated. She said they had argued before he took her phone and the gun, pushed her out of the way and left the house.

Deputies found Mesa about two blocks away in an open field and tried to persuade him to surrender peacefully, the state police statement said. Instead, he pointed the gun at the deputies and both fired at him.

State police said they will work to independently confirm the accounts of the incident and provide a report to the district attorney's office, which will determine if the shooting was justified.

The names of the officers were not released.