Let's Talk Evictions and Assistance
Let’s Talk New Mexico 6/17 8am: Last September, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention instituted a moratorium on residential evictions to keep people without secure incomes from losing their homes during the COVID-19 pandemic. New Mexico followed suit with a similar state-wide protection order. For ten months the moratoriums have protected thousands of New Mexico renters, but at the same time back rents have continued to accrue and landlords have gone without the income they count on. With the national order protecting tenants scheduled to expire on June 30th and no clear endpoint for the state’s moratorium, there is potential for a massive number of evictions if nothing is done. Join us this week as we discuss the national and state residential eviction moratoriums, as well as programs set up to help tenants get caught up on payments.
Have you fallen behind on rent during the pandemic? Are you a landlord dealing with lost income? Are you concerned about what a large number of evictions could do to the economy or the already troubling housing market?
We want to hear your story. Email LetsTalk@kunm.org, tweet #letstalkNM or call in live during the show.
- Maria Griego, New Mexico Center on Law and Poverty
- Chuck Sheldon, T&C Management, Former Pres. Apartment Association of New Mexico
- Henry Valdez, New Mexico Dept. of Finance and Administration
- Albuquerque Housing Authority for Section 8 Housing Choice vouchers and public housing assistance
- New Mexico’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program
- Santa Fe Landlord-Tenant Resources
- ABQ's Juneteenth celebrations, where the Dept. of Finance and Administrations will be set up to help with emergency rental assistance applications
- New Mexico's Homeowner Assistance Fund for people behind on mortgages, bills, taxes, etc.
- Santa Fe Housing Action Coalition's Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program Info Session
- Santa Fe Housing Action Coalition’s “The Breakdown” panel on renter’s rights
- Albuquerque Journal, Op-Ed “Property Owners The Other Victims Of Eviction Moratorium”
- Searchlight New Mexico, “Seeking Shelter” Gallup is on the edge of a housing crisis