89.9 FM Live From The University Of New Mexico
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Federal Funds To Combat Drug Overdoses, Salmonella Reported In New Mexico, Trump's Criticism of Bush

FAILING ANGEL VIA COMPFIGHT

  New Mexico To Get Federal Funds To Combat Drug Overdoses - The Associated Press 

New Mexico health officials say the state will get federal funding for the next four years to stop prescription drug overdoses.

The New Mexico Department of Health announced Friday that the state will be part of the new program that will issue an annual grant of $850,000.

New Mexico is one of 16 states that successfully competed for the grant from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Department of Health Cabinet Secretary Retta Ward says officials will also be able to reach communities where there are high rates of overdoses.

The funding will help enhance prescription drug monitoring programs, facilitate work with health providers and other goals.

Officials say more than 260 people died in New Mexico from prescription-drug-related overdoses in 2014.

15 Cases Of Salmonella Reported In New Mexico - The Associated Press

The New Mexico Department of Health is investigating 15 confirmed cases of salmonella that appear to be linked to eating garden-variety cucumbers grown in Mexico.

Authorities say there's an ongoing investigation of 285 confirmed cases nationally from 27 states.

The cucumbers were sent to grocery stores and restaurants in New Mexico and other states through a non-New Mexico produce distributer.

The 15 cases involve seven residents of Bernalillo County, two residents of Dona Ana County, two residents of Sandoval County and one resident from McKinley, Santa Fe, and Valencia counties plus one case of an unknown residence at this time.

Health officials say the New Mexico cases range in age from 1 to 65 years of age and about 60 percent are female.

Trump's Criticism Of Bush's Spanish A Distraction - The Associated Press

New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez says Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's criticism of rival Jeb Bush for speaking Spanish is a distraction.

A Republican and the nation's only Latina governor, Martinez said Friday following a news conference the spat was taking the focus away from real issues facing the country.

Bush said he had been responding to a reporter's question in Spanish this week when he replied in Spanish to criticize Trump.

Trump told Breitbart News that Bush should "set the example" by speaking English while in the U.S.

Martinez says she grew up speaking English and Spanish and uses both languages to communicate with reporters and residents.

She previously criticized Trump for remarks he made comparing Mexican immigrants to murderers and rapists.