LISTEN: How Can We Get New Mexico's Economy Moving Again?
KUNM Call In Show 7/28 8a: New Mexico’s economy is struggling, particularly as energy prices remain low. That has brought job losses and shrinking revenues. Our unemployment rate remains one of the highest in the country. What is hampering New Mexico from diversifying its economy? What are the strengths in our communities that we can tap to grow our existing businesses, while helping new companies launch?
We’ll speak with members of New Mexico First, which brought together people from around the state recently to come up with priorities to help New Mexico thrive. Those include changes in our tax system, helping rather than penalizing families who want to move off public assistance and investing in our workforce. What do you think we need to do in New Mexico to become more prosperous? Are you having trouble finding job openings in your field? What would you like to see the state focus on?
- Bill Garcia, Highland University Foundation, former New Mexico Economic Development Secretary
- Tom Taylor, 4 Corners Economic Development, former lawmaker
- Heather Balas, New Mexico First, President and Executive Director
- Richard Luarkie, CEO for 96 Degrees, former Laguna Pueblo governor
- Economic Security And Vitality For New Mexico - New Mexico First
- Governor Repeats No Tax Increase Pledge - Albuquerque Journal
- NM Tumbles In Biz Climate Survey - Santa Fe New Mexican
- NM Facing Budget Trouble As Revenues Evaporate - Associated Press
- Oil Prices May Rebound - Albuquerque Journal
- New Mexico Ranks Third For Number Of Solar Jobs - ABQ Business First
- New Mexico Unemployment Rate Stagnant For Fourth Month - Albuquerque Journal
- Jobs Growth In Healthcare, Hospitality Lift State Economy - Santa Fe New Mexican
- Film,TV Give New Mexico Blockbuster Year - Albuquerque Journal