Let's Talk Union Fees And Right To Work Laws
Let's Talk New Mexico 5/2 8a: The U.S. Supreme Court ruled last year that public sector employees can’t be required to pay union fees. Here in New Mexico, private sector employees can be required to pay union fees, or even join a union to get a job.
Local officials in some communities around the state passed ordinances prohibiting these union fees, but the governor and state lawmakers blocked them during this year’s legislative session.
This week we're talking union fees and right to work laws and we want to hear from you. Email LetsTalk@KUNM.org, tweet with the hashtag #LetsTalkNM, or call in live during the show.
- Daymon Ely, New Mexico State Representative for District 23
- David Heil, Sandoval County Commission Chairman
- Carla Sonntag, President of the New Mexico Business Coalition
- Shane Youtz, General Counsel for the New Mexico Federation of Labor
- Merritt Allen, CEO of Vox Optima, LLC