Let's Talk New Mexico 4/08 8am: Last week in a special session of the New Mexico Legislature lawmakers moved to legalize recreational cannabis and Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham is expected to sign the legislation. The changes allows individuals to grow for personal use or to sell with a micro-business license and they create a structure that will gradually increase taxes over time. A separate bill allows for the expungement of criminal records for some past marijuana offenses.
On the next Let’s Talk New Mexico, we’ll look at what the legislation contains, how it structures legalization and the timeline.
Supporters hail the passage as a way to diversify New Mexico’s economy, bring in tax income and address inequities left by the war on drugs. But opponents worry about the unintended consequences of the new industry and the costs.
We’ll talk to lawmakers, regulators and advocates. What questions do you have? Are you excited about legal cannabis? Are you concerned about what it means for New Mexico? Email LetsTalk@kunm.org or call in live during the show.
- Kim Chavez-Cook, Law Offices of the Public Defender
- Moises Gonzales, Associate Professor, University of New Mexico School of Architecture + Planning, president of the Cañon de Carnue Land Grant
- State Rep. Derrick Lente, D-Rio Arriba, Sandoval, San Juan
- Andy Lyman, New Mexico Political Report
- State Rep. Andrea Romero, D-Santa Fe
- Linda Trujillo, Superintendent, New Mexico Regulation & Licensing Department
Resources and Further Reading:
- New Mexico approves landmark recreational-use cannabis bill - New Mexico Political Report
- Legislature sends expungement bill to governor’s desk - New Mexico Political Report
- Cannabis Control Division - the state body that will oversee cannabis in New Mexico
- New Mexico's Marijuana Law May Be A Work In Progress - KRWG
- What to know about recreational marijuana and the workplace - KRQE-TV
- Things to know about recreational pot in New Mexico - Associated Press
- Cannabis bill threatens food security - ABQ Journal OpEd
- Who will regulate marijuana in New Mexico - KRQE-TV
- Big lift ahead for officials required to expunge thousands of old cannabis convictions under newly passed law - Santa Fe Reporter