World AIDS Day And Free HIV Testing
Monday was World AIDS Day and Planned Parenthood offered free and confidential HIV screenings at the Santa Fe Health Center.
In case you missed it, it’s important to know that free testing doesn’t only take place on World AIDS Day. There are organizations all across New Mexico that give tests throughout the year. Planned Parenthood gave over a thousand HIV tests here over the past year.
- New Mexico AIDS Services in Albuquerque and Farmington offer free HIV testing at their offices
- Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains offers HIV testing at their many offices in New Mexico
- New Mexico Department of Health (DOH) HIV/AIDS Treatment & Services have resources
- UNM Truman Health Services offers free HIV testing
- Information about AIDS in New Mexico
Many people don’t even know they HIV. Early testing is important to prevent AIDS. Michelle Wood with UNM Truman Health Services says fear often keeps people from getting tested.
“When people understand their HIV status, the next step is to teach them how to stop the spread of HIV,” Woods said.
Wood says that roughly 4,000 New Mexicans were reported to be living with HIV or AIDS in 2011.