Deadline To Register To Vote In 2016 Is Tuesday
The 2016 general election is just four weeks away and Tuesday, Oct. 11, is the last day to register to vote this year in New Mexico.
People who are eligible to vote and have a current or expired New Mexico driver’s license or state identification card can register online before midnight Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2016 .
Eligible voters can also fill out voter registration forms at county clerks’ offices or the Secretary of State’s office before 5 p.m.
Tuesday is also the first day to vote early at county clerks’ offices. Other early voting locations open on Oct. 22, 2016.
Nearly 50,000 people registered to vote online between January and August of this year, according to the Santa Fe New Mexican, after the Secretary of State’s office sent notices to hundreds of thousands of potential eligible voters.
Here are some more helpful links:
· If you are not sure if you are already registered, check the Secretary of State’s registrant portal.
· The League of Women Voters in New Mexico offers a nonpartisan guide.
· Download an absentee ballot application. Nov. 4 is the last day to request an absentee ballot. If you receive an absentee ballot, you cannot vote at a physical poll.
· Find a polling location in your county. Early voting at locations other than a clerk's office begins Oct. 22. Election day is Tuesday, Nov. 8, when polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
· Read frequently asked questions about the 2016 elections and voting from the Secretary of State’s office.
Call the Secretary of State’s Office for registration questions: 505-827-3600