Who Calls Police?
KUNM Call In Show 8/17 8a: Call now - 505-277-5866 (local in Albuquerque). Not everyone reaches out to law enforcement when they're in danger or when they're victims of a crime. With the federal government trying to crack down on undocumented immigrants in New Mexico, advocates say even more people here are unwilling to call police for help. But this is an ongoing issue here and all over the country.
We'll talk to folks who in their lives or in the course of their work, have found that some communities don't feel they can access law enforcement for protection or aid. Have you reached out for police help when you needed it? What prevents people from doing so? How does mistrust impact public safety? How could things be different?
• Adriann Barboa, field director, Strong Families New Mexico
• Capt. Andi Taylor, Southwest Area Command, Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department
• Steven Robert Allen, director of public policy, American Civil Liberties Union of New Mexico
• Jenny Metzler, executive director, Albuquerque Healthcare for the Homeless
• Siddiq Abdallah of The Word
• AnhDao Bui, social services director, New Mexico Asian Family Center