KUNM Newsroom Wins 6 State Journalism Awards
It's awards season for journalists and we're proud to annouce that the New Mexico Broadcasters Association has recogized KUNM news coverage for Excellence in Broadcasting with top awards for Breaking News, Feature News, Continuing Coverage, Legislative Coverage, Best Student Newscaster and Student Reporter.
- Hannah Colton's coverage of public access to interim legislative committee meetings won the Excellence in Broadcasting award for Breaking News.
- Marisa Demarco's story about the Albuquerque Police Department's efforts to repair its reputation on the streets won the Excellence in Broadcasting award for Feature News Story.
- Hannah Colton's series on accountability and healing in the New Mexico Catholic Church won the Excellence in Broadcasting award for Continuing Coverage.
- The KUNM news team's reporting on the 2019 legislative session won the Excellence in Broadcasting award for Legislative Coverage.
- Bryce Dix won the Excellence in Broadcasting award for Student Reporter and Celia Raney won for Best Student Newscast.
Several pieces by KUNM journalists also won awards from the Society of Professional Journalists Colorado Pro chapter in the Top of the Rockies journalism competition for 2018.
The episode of Let's Talk New Mexico on medical care in state prisons produced by Marisa Demarco took first place in the competition's Radio General Broadcast Excellence category. An episode of University Showcase produced by Megan Kamerick exploring efforts to help women successfully return to the community after incarceration won third place. And Megan's episode of University Showcase featuring the folks who launched Adaptive Biomedical Design won first place in the education category.