No More Normal: Journalism In The Pandemic
For more than a year now, this show has been keeping pace with changes large and small, noting them and documenting them. It’s about looking closely and creating a record of this historic year in human history. It’s also been an unusual time for journalists themselves. Today, we’re talking about the behind-the-scenes thinking and decision-making that goes into telling stories.
What was it like to report the news during one of the most consequential periods of modern history? What did it do to us, as individuals, tasked to discover and share the stories of great importance with you? How did journalists have to pivot and adapt to a media environment in a cyclone of misinformation and disinformation? How are we going to look at our jobs, the industry, the collective consciousness of the country, now that things have fundamentally changed?
- Megan Kamerick, host and reporter for KUNM and New Mexico PBS
- Julia Goldberg, journalist with the Santa Fe Reporter
- Austin Fisher, freelance reporter, former news editor at the Rio Grande Sun
- Shaun Griswold, reporter for New Mexico In Depth
- Kevin McDonald, executive producer and production manager for New Mexico PBS
- Marisa Demarco, reporter for KUNM and executive producer for NoMoNo
- Khalil Ekulona, NoMoNo host and reporter for KUNM
NEXT WEEK: Employers are hiring. They really are looking. Some offer bonuses and prizes just for applying. Republican governors are cutting off those extra federal benefits in order to push people back to work. People who want to work say they want to get paid more fairly for what they do. With an economy driven by spending, the need for cash is at hand. We’re in the money—well, we’re talking about it at least. That’s next week on No More Normal.
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
- Our guests for sharing their experience, insights, and expertise with us.
- Jazztone the Producer, Cheo, Dahm Life, Business School, Sun Dog, and Oh Lawd Records for providing music for the show.
- Khaki, Pope Yesyesyall, and Bigawatt produced some of the show’s themes.
No More Normal is brought to you by Your New Mexico Government, a collaboration between KUNM, New Mexico PBS and the Santa Fe Reporter. Funding for our coverage comes from the New Mexico Local News Fund, the Kellogg Foundation and KUNM listeners like you, with support for public media provided by the Thornburg Foundation.
We dedicate this and every episode to the memory of Hannah Colton. We love and miss you Hannah.