LISTEN: The Gold King Mine Spill - How We Got Here, And What's Next
KUNM Call In Show 8/13 8a:
Governor Susana Martinez has declared a state of emergencyafter the Environmental Protection Agency caused a massive spill of mine waste that has contaminated rivers in New Mexico and Colorado. We'll take a look at the Gold King Mine Spill: what does the pollution mean for communities, wildlife, and the watershed?
Can the rivers be cleaned up, and who is responsible for the costs? We'll hear from affected communities, scientists and government representatives—and we also want to hear from you.
- Dr. Kerry Howe, Professor of Civil Engineering, University of New Mexico
- Dr. Tom Turner, Professor of Biology, University of New Mexico
- U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich
- Allison Majure, New Mexico Environment Department
- Jim Rogers, San Juan Agricultural Water Users Association
Click here to access the New Mexico Environment Department's Gold King Mine Spill portal, with up-to-date information on the spill. The EPA's hotline for the spill is 1-844-607-9700.