New Mexico and The Vote Ep 4 - 100 Years After Ratification
Tuesday 8/25, 8a: It's been 100 years since the ratification of the 19th Amendment assured women the right to vote in New Mexico and the rest of the United States, and it's been more 70 years since a lawsuit ensured the franchise for Native Americans. But what is the work left undone?
On this final episode, Megan Kamerick looks at what issues remain for gender equality, including the passing of the Equal Rights Amendment and convincing more women to run for public office, and the huge challenges that still face Native American Voters.
“New Mexico and the Vote” is a companion production to The American Experience documentary “The Vote” on PBS, which is still available for streaming.
- Martha Burk, political psychologist, former Chair of the National Council of Women's Organizations, author of “Your Voice, Your Vote: The Savvy Woman’s Guide to Politics, Power, and the Change We Need.”
- Ahtza Dawn Chavez, executive director of the Native American Voters Alliance Education Project
- Dr. Sylvia Ramos Cruz, retired physician and women’s rights advocate
- U.S. Rep. Debra Haaland, Democratic Representative from New Mexico
- Pamelya Herndon, President/CEO of KWH Law Center for Social Justice and Change
- How the Native American Vote Continues to be Suppressed - American Bar Association
- Native populations face hurdles at election time - Albuquerque Journal
- Obstacles At Every Turn: Barriers to Political Participation Faced By Native American Voters- Native American Rights Fund
- Fewer polling places present challenges for Native voters - New Mexico In Depth
- Electoral inequality for Native Americans detailed in expansive study - The Fulcrum
- History of the Equal Rights Amendment - Alice Paul Institute
- Why Apple, Google, and 91 other companies are now voicing support for the Equal Rights Amendment - Fortune
- Lawsuits Aim to Block DeVos’s New Sexual Misconduct Rules - New York Times
- A record number of women will be serving in the new Congress - Pew Research Center
- The Equal Rights Amendment with Sylvia Ramos Cruz - SantaFe.com
Events Celebrating 100 Years Of 19th Amendment Ratification