No More Normal: Remembering Hannah Colton
Former KUNM News Director and reporter, Hannah Colton, died by suicide at age 29 in November 2020. We have dedicated every episode of No More Normal to our dear friend and colleague since then, and now – for the last episode of the series – we memorialize her life, work and legacy.
We in the KUNM newsroom remember Hannah for being a great leader and brave reporter. Her friends and family remember her for her radiance and kindness. And no matter how people knew Hannah, it was her openness and ability to really see and hear people that often stands out in their memories.
On August 1, 2021, from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m., in a special two-hour final espisode of No More Normal, we hear from Hannah’s colleagues, family and friends about her essential work before and during the pandemic, and about who she was inside and beyond that work.
If you would like to share your own memories, or read those of others, head to MemorialForHannah.com.
- Hannah’s parents: Kathy and Brad Colton
- Hannah’s KUNM colleagues and friends: Marisa Demarco, Nash Jones, Khalil Ekulona, Ty Bannerman, Kaveh Mowahed, Yasmin Khan, Taylor Velazquez and Megan Kamerick
- Hannah’s close personal friends: Keegan Kloer, Aaron Bumgarner, Marya Errin Jones, Adri De La Cruz, Austin Fisher, Monica Demarco and Marina Daldalian
- Hannah’s sources: Melanie Yazzie, and Dan and Denise Williams
Whether you knew Hannah personally or only through the radio, we invite you to join us Sunday evening following the live broadcast of the show to honor her memory at a public, in-person vigil. We’ll gather to mourn, remember and sing songs that Hannah selected for a community event she was planning before she passed.
- When: 7 p.m., Sunday, August 1, 2021
- Where: Tiguex Park, 1800 Mountain Rd NW, Albuquerque
- Who: Open to the public
- If you or someone you know is considering suicide or is otherwise experiencing a mental or emotional crisis, call the New Mexico Crisis and Access Line at 1-855-NM-CRISIS or the Agora Crisis Center at 505-277-3013.
- If you are not in crisis, but want to connect with someone about difficult feelings, call the New Mexico Peer-To-Peer Warmline: 1-855-4NM-7100, 7:30 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. daily, or text between 6 - 11 p.m., or the Agora Crisis Center at 505-277-3013.
- If you are a New Mexico journalist or medical worker in need of someone to talk to, call the First Responder Support Line at 1-855-507-5509.
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255
- TrevorLifeline for LGBTQ youth: 1-866-488-7386
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
- Artist Miriam Gwilt, whose artwork represents this episode online.
- Khaki, Pope Yesyesyall, and Bigawatt who produced some of the show’s themes.
- KUNM reporter, Nash Jones, who co-produced this episode alongside former KUNM reporter and NoMoNo Executive Producer, Marisa Demarco.
We dedicate this and every single episode of No More Normal to Hannah Colton. We love and miss you, Hannah.
No More Normal is brought to you by Your New Mexico Government, a collaboration between KUNM, New Mexico PBS, and the Santa Fe Reporter. Funding for our coverage comes from the Kellogg Foundation and KUNM listeners like you, with support for public media provided by the Thornburg Foundation.