The Push For Breastfeeding
KUNM Call In Show 8/27 8a:
Advocates around the state are working to help new moms who want to breastfeed make it happen. They’re embarking on campaigns to normalize breastfeeding and inform women of their rights at work.
Are hospitals helping women start the process? Are New Mexico employers offering their workers clean, private spaces to pump milk? Did you or anyone you know ever face disapproval or judgment for nursing in public? Are businesses friendly to breastfeeding moms?
Breastfeeding in public—U.S. Office on Women's Health
Federal reform —National Conference of State Legislatures
Breastfeeding-Friendly Workplaces and Schools, New Mexico Breastfeeding Task Force
• Erin Marshall, Baby-Friendly hospital project director, New Mexico Breastfeeding Task Force
• Mary Gruszka, lactation consultant, Gila Regional Medical Center in Silver City
• Lissa Knudsen, UNM Health Communication PhD student and mother advocate
• Erin Adair Hodges, CNM English instructor
• Jessica Ellis, creator of Nourish The Dream Breastfeeding Support Community for Black Mamas
• Monica Esparza, breastfeeding peer counselor with WIC