89.9 FM Live From The University Of New Mexico
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Frijoles Fire evacuation lifted because of increased containment

An engine crew assesses the Frijoles Fire on the night of August 15th. Containment along the fire's western perimeter has increased to the point where Santa Fe county lifted the evacuation on Camino de Cañon, the only area to have been evacuated so far.
An engine crew assesses the Frijoles Fire on the night of August 15th. Containment along the fire's western perimeter has increased to the point where Santa Fe county lifted the evacuation on Camino de Cañon, the only area to have been evacuated so far.

People forced to evacuate because of the Frijoles Fire were able to head back home Friday afternoon. Santa Fe County lifted the “Go” evacuation status for Camino de Cañon near Cundiyó at about 3:00 p.m..

The county lifted the evacuation because of increased containment on the western perimeter of the fire.

According to the ArcGIS NM Fire Viewer, which consolidates real-time data from multiple federal, state, and local agencies, most of the Frijoles Fires hotspots are located along the eastern and southern reaches of the fire.

Camino de Cañon is the only area to have been evacuated so far. Shawna Graves, communication coordinator for Santa Fe county, told KUNM the area only has about 8 to -10 homes total, but they were all contacted and made aware they can return.

Graves said the entirety of the Cundiyó and Cerro Piñon communities are now in “Set” status.

The "Ready, Set, Go" evacuation system is standardized and used across the United States. Ready means to bprepare a plan for evacuation, "Set" means to remain vgilant and be ready to leave at a moment's notice, and "Go" means to leave the area immediately.
The "Ready, Set, Go" evacuation system is standardized and used across the United States. Ready means to bprepare a plan for evacuation, "Set" means to remain vgilant and be ready to leave at a moment's notice, and "Go" means to leave the area immediately.

“Residents should continue to be vigilant and prepared in case conditions change. Make a plan to leave,”’ she said. “If evacuation orders are issued, know what your plan would be, but at this time there have been enough improvements that evacuation orders have been lifted.”

The Borrego Mesa area was also in “Set” status, but Graves said this part of the forest is uninhabited and currently closed to the public — visitors should avoid it entirely.

Nambée Pueblo Lake and Falls Recreation Area remained in “Ready” status, which means to be prepared for possible evacuations.

According to the latest update on Friday morning, the Frijoles Fire had burned more than 15,000 acres and was 38% contained with almost 1,000 personnel on site.

Evacuation status can be found on the county’s website and may change at any time.

Support for this coverage comes from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.

Daniel Montaño is a reporter with KUNM's Public Health, Poverty and Equity project. He is also an occasional host of Morning Edition, All Things Considered, and Let's Talk New Mexico since 2021, is a born and bred Burqueño who first started with KUNM about two decades ago, as a production assistant while he was in high school. During the intervening years, he studied journalism at UNM, lived abroad, fell in and out of love, conquered here and there, failed here and there, and developed a taste for advocating for human rights.
Related Content