Let's Talk 2021 Legislature – It's On(line)
Let’s Talk New Mexico 1/21 8am: Last week, Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham released her list of top legislative priorities for the year. The Governor and legislators, for the most part, agree the focus will be on pandemic recovery. That can mean new spending and creating new revenue streams, and that spending and fundraising will impact New Mexicans in a myriad of ways. Lujan Grisham asked legislators to legalize recreational marijuana, help make health insurance more affordable and to take a stand against greenhouse emissions. Legislators and interest groups have other plans to address climate change, public health and education.
On this week's Let's Talk New Mexico, we'll be talking to lawmakers, advocates and journalists about what New Mexicans can expect from this unprecedented virtual session.
And we want to hear from you! Are you suffering financially because of the pandemic? Are you worried your kids are falling behind in school? Do you think environmental legislation could spur the economy, or is this the wrong time? Which issues do you wish legislators would focus on? Email LetsTalk@kunm.org, tweet #letstalkNM or call in live during the show.
- David Abbey, Director, Legislative Finance Committee
- G. Andrés Romero, Democratic State Representative, Chair, House Education Committee
- Melissa Ontiveros, Executive Director, New Mexico Public Health Association
- Kendra Chamberlain, New Mexico Political Report
- Andy Lyman, New Mexico Political Report/Growing Forward Podcast
- New Mexico Legislature Ready For Day One Unlike Any Other (Santa Fe New Mexican)
- The New Mexico Legislature, an A-Z Guide (Santa Fe New Mexican)
- Environmental Bills Coming In The 2021 Legislative Session (New Mexico Political Report)
- Lawmakers Seek Amendment To Ensure 'Environmental Rights' (KOB-TV)
- Bill To Establish Healthcare Affordability Fund Expected During Legislative Session (NM Political Report)
- Lawmakers To Introduce Criminal Justice Reform Bills (NM Politcal Report)
- Multiple Cannabis Legalization Bills Expected During The NM Legislative Session (NM Political Report)
This is part of our Your NM Government project, a collaboration between KUNM, New Mexico PBS and the Santa Fe Reporter. Support for public media (NMPBS and KUNM) provided by the Thornburg Foundation.