Wow, we just had a tense bunch of days, each one filled with anticipation and impatience and consternation. From people worrying about how the election was going to play out, to some keeping an eye on potential violence, it would be an understatement to say that anxieties were high. It makes sense, 2020 has been mad anxious as my East Coast compatriots would say. But the electoral college digits that just wouldn’t move are not the only numbers the United States has to grapple with. Most of the country spent so much of their attention on the election, news of record- breaking new covid cases barely cut through the din. No matter who’s in charge, we’ve got a lot in front of us.
This week, we follow Host Khalil Ekulona through his Election Week diary, and talk to some folks about what's happening and what's left to do.
- Clifton White and Selinda Guerrero, activists pushing back against an unjust criminal legal system and fighting for prisoners' rights.
- State GOP Party chair Steve Pearce
- NM Dems Party chair Marg Elliston
- Journalists from our partner the Santa Fe Reporter Katherine Lewin and Leah Cantor
- KUNM News Director Hannah Colton and Host / Reporter Nash Jones
- Jeff "Jazztone" Alberson
Next Week: It’s time to look into the future. What can we do to make this democracy run better, so that representation is something guaranteed to all of us? Hey, technology isn’t the only thing that needs updates. We focus on "Our Common Purpose," a great document that may be a guide for the country.
No More Normal is brought to you by the same crew behind YNMG. Hear the show on KUNM’s airwaves Sundays at 11 a.m. or find it wherever you get your podcasts.
Special thanks to:
- Hannah Colton, Nash Jones and Yasmin Khan for the amazing last-minute editing help
- Our amazing homies out in the field with us
- Reporter and photographer Margaret Wright, who contributed some photos for this week’s show
- All of the amazing meme-makers of the World Wide Web
- Thanks to Jazztone the Producer, Cheo, Dahm Life, and Oh Lawd Records for providing music for the show. Khaki, Pope Yesyesyall, and Biggawat produced some of the show's themes
No More Normal is brought to you by Your New Mexico Government, a collaboration between KUNM, New Mexico PBS, and the Santa Fe Reporter. Funding for our coverage comes from the New Mexico Local News Fund, the Kellogg Foundation and KUNM listeners like you, with support for public media provided by the Thornburg Foundation.