Where do you get your news? Rather, where do you get your stories? Even more: how do stories shape us? And who are the people crafting these stories—what’s their story? For our second episode on Black history, we are looking into storytelling and the people who craft the narrative, offering us insights we may have passed by.
We featured stories and conversations with host Khalil Ekulona's family last week, but family is not the only place that provides us with stories. We get it from the news we read as well. In episode 23, we get to know some of the African American journalists who are familiar to television audiences in New Mexico and around the country.
- Jemele Hill, contributing writer for The Atlantic and co-host of "Cari and Jemele (Won't) Stick To Sports" on VICE TV
- Van Tate, sports director for KRQE News 13
- Shellye Leggett, general assignment reporter for KOAT Action 7 News
- Vaunda Micheaux Nelson, historical storyteller and author of children's books
- Lisa Salters, ESPN's Monday Night Football and NBA reporter, "E:60" co-host
- Kalyn Norwood, reporter and weekend anchor for KOAT Action 7 News
- James and Abby Woods, publishers of Cue The Culture
- Juba, a descendant of West African griots and a member of Storytellers of New Mexico
YOUR NM GOV: With the legislative session heading into the final lap, it is important that you know what is going on at the Roundhouse. Your New Mexico Government is where you can find daily updates on all the news coming out of Santa Fe. Look for "No More Normal" on Apple Podcasts or Spotify to get those daily updates. This week, we'll hear from Gwyneth Doland for New Mexico PBS about all the redistricting drama.
NEXT WEEK: This time last year was our last time doing our normal routines. In N.M., March 15 is about the one-year anniversary of the quarantine. So let's look at the year in review. So many questions have developed in the last year. We talk with you to see if anyone has an answer.
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
- Blvck Astroknot for allowing us to use his piece “Slow Jam” as artwork for the online version of the show
- Jazztone the Producer, Cheo, Dahm Life, Business School, Sundog, and Oh Lawd Records for providing music for the show
- Khaki, Popeyes Yes Y'all, and Bigawatt produced some of the show’s themes.
- Taylor Velasquez helps with social media, story generation and editing
- Zelie Pollon for helping to edit the show this week
We dedicate this and every single episode of No More Normal to Hannah Colton. We love and miss you, Hannah.
No More Normal is brought to you by Your New Mexico Government, a collaboration between KUNM, New Mexico PBS, and the Santa Fe Reporter. Funding for our coverage comes from the Kellogg Foundation and KUNM listeners like you, with support for public media provided by the Thornburg Foundation.