The crew at NoMoNo headquarters takes a look at where we’ve been since the pandemic started, reflecting a little—hard to find time to do it when we’re all stuck in an unending news cycle. But hopefully, this is a pleasant look back if you’ve been hanging in there with us. We want to thank all of you who listened to the show when it was Your New Mexico Government back in March—you know, 1,000 years ago.
Executive Producer Marisa Demarco says in this episode that she's never seen a moment where the decisions politicians make have immediate, life-or-death impact on our families, neighbors and communities. We've talked to politicians as they were going through the decision-making process. On Episode 9, we hear from:
- Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez
- Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham
- Albuquerque Mayor Tim Keller
- Rep. Deb Haaland
- Sen. Tom Udall
(These links will send you to the original episodes, if you want to hear more of those interviews.)
We speak with our media partners, Kevin McDonald from New Mexico PBS and Julie Ann Grimm of the Santa Fe Reporter, about why teaming up matters for you, the listener, reader or viewer of the news.
We also dive into the realities of this time and revisit conversations with:
- David Carroll, who took on Cambridge Analytica to get his data back and is featured in the Netflix documentary The Great Hack
- Mutale Nkonde, CEO of AI for the People
- Mariaelena Lopez, who lost her mom to COVID-19 early on in the pandemic
- Young adults weighing social distancing and the future
- Musicians exploring hip-hop and the music industry
And finally, we dig up some of the weird / funny / cool segments we've had on the show, featuring:
- Comedian Sarah Kennedy
- Runner Liz McKenzie
- Santiago Cooper
- Callers from our Old-School Shoutout Show episode
- Host Khalil's parents: Ademola and Olufemi Ekulona
Hear the show on KUNM’s airwaves Sundays at 11 a.m., or find it wherever you get your podcasts.
Special thanks to: Cheo Melendez and Jazztone the Producer for sharing their music with the show. Khaki, Pope Yes Yes Y’all, and Bigawatt composed the show’s themes.
No More Normal is brought to you by Your New Mexico Government, a collaboration between KUNM, New Mexico PBS, and the Santa Fe Reporter. Funding for our coverage comes from the New Mexico Local News Fund, the Kellogg Foundation and KUNM listeners like you, with support for public media provided by the Thornburg Foundation.